performanceporting

Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
rushi

rushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to rushi
Default Connecting rod weights

I wanted to make a general connecting rod weight thread, so we'd better understand and could compare the different rod weights and their effect to engine's dynamics.

I finally got some stock rods (Z6 and B20) removed from pistons, and had previously weighted few FJT rods I've had in my hands, so here we go:

D16Z6 rod with stock bolts+nuts: 434 grams
PR4 LS/B20 rod with ARP 8mm bolts+nuts: 497 grams
FJT std-length H-beam with 3/8" ARP2000: 518 grams
FJT 138.65mm long I-beam with 3/8" ARP2000: 540 grams
Probe I-beam "Ultralight", 9mm ARP8740: 500 grams (thanks remoer!)
Speed-O-Motive Pro I-beam, 9mm ARP8740: 498 grams (appears to be identical to Probe)
Eagle ESP H-beam, 3/8" ARP2000 : 530 grams

ARP2000 3/8" bolts are 27 grams each.
ARP8740 9mm bolts are 21 grams each.

Originally Posted by transzex
D15 rod = 390g
D15Z1 rod = 405g
D16 rod = 430g
D pin = 70g
LS rod = 485g
Originally Posted by K2e2vin View Post
I have longer Maxi-light rods in front of me(5.512"). They're B-series long rods(Dart-block rods) that are going to be modified for my D15/CBR setup.
Ok they're 445g w/hardware on a scale that's accurate to about .5g.
Originally Posted by solorexer View Post
You can add the Crower 134mm D15 rod to the list if you want. I put mine on the scale today and came up with 465g. Visually they look very similar to the pictures of Kevin's B18 maxi lights except they have OEM D15 dimensions CtoC, big and small end diameters as a PM3 rod.

If you can weight other rods, please post here! I'd be very interested about real weight of Crower MaxiLight. But post only numbers you've personally measured, NOT misinformation you read online or "have heard". Pictures are very welcome.

Last edited by rushi; 11-16-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added more weights
rushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
SOHCinWA
MadMood

SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA SOHCinWA
Send a message via AIM to SOHCinWA Send a message via Yahoo to SOHCinWA

Awesome thread once again rushi..

Thats why this is called "OneCamOnly" . For some its not about the price. Its about the pride in which they take in building a Single Cam motor that stomps on all others. Sure it might cost a little more money for someone to get what they want out of a Single Cam motor. But doing a swap is too easy.Step up!

Where D's are better then B's and F always comes before K

Originally Posted by greasemonky89 View Post
If OCO was a girl, I would hit it

www.SpeedFactoryracing.net , www.PerformancePorting.com , www.CompetitionClutch.com , Street Designs Custom Tinting & Vinyl Graphics

For you non single cam owners, checkoutwww.hondabuild.com
SOHCinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
rushi

rushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to beholdrushi is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Don, I hope this is helpful. One thing we should also measure among the total weight of rod, is the end weights of rod. What makes it difficult is that we should generate a standard for measuring it, since rod's angle (deviation from horizontal line) will affect the end weight.

Because the weight of small end is almost purely reciprocating, it has bigger effect on engine acceleration rate and especially rod loading than mostly rotating big end weight.

I think this is where H-beam rod can actually be better than I-beam, even though the total weight of rod can be bigger. When I had both FJT I- and H-beam rods in my hands, I was swinging them around in my hands and noticed that H-beam, being only 22g lighter, but it had massively smaller inertial force compared to I-beam one. I didn't weight it, but clearly felt it that H-beams small-end weight is significantly smaller compared to I-beam's small-end weight.

H-beams also should have higher section modulus (they're stiffer, won't bend as easily under load) than I-beam which makes them ideal in boosted applications.

This makes me seriously considering the Eagle/FJT H-beam rods for my Z6 project, when I finally can proceed with it.. Hopefully later this year.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Hondanickx
The underdog

Hondanickx is a jewel in the roughHondanickx is a jewel in the roughHondanickx is a jewel in the rough

Some time ago i asked crower on those weights :

I got this message from dustin from crower:

Crower Econo Rods for D16y8: 5.394@497g.
Crower Maxi Light Rods for D16y8: 5.394@457g.

I also personaly weight my B18B LS rods and those were 485gram with bolts and nuts.And those were allready shaved down with a new 19mm bush pressed in(ready for a d16z6 engine).I personally think those Maxi lights are a really good choice.

Last edited by Hondanickx; 01-02-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Hondanickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
K2e2vin
Broke builder

K2e2vin is a jewel in the roughK2e2vin is a jewel in the roughK2e2vin is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

I'm sort of glad I didn't get the FJT rods.

Probe actually lists the weights of the rods on their website; so I'd assume it'll be close to the B18 rods(around 489g, 7/16 ARP screws). It should be noted though that some of their longer rods are lighter(like the H22 ones).

Once I get some money I'm actually going with the Probe Ultralights; but mine will have custom PE and length.

05 Subaru Legacy GT
92 Honda Accord LX
88 Honda Civic HB
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
K2e2vin
Broke builder

K2e2vin is a jewel in the roughK2e2vin is a jewel in the roughK2e2vin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rushi View Post
Thanks Don, I hope this is helpful. One thing we should also measure among the total weight of rod, is the end weights of rod. What makes it difficult is that we should generate a standard for measuring it, since rod's angle (deviation from horizontal line) will affect the end weight.

Because the weight of small end is almost purely reciprocating, it has bigger effect on engine acceleration rate and especially rod loading than mostly rotating big end weight.

I think this is where H-beam rod can actually be better than I-beam, even though the total weight of rod can be bigger. When I had both FJT I- and H-beam rods in my hands, I was swinging them around in my hands and noticed that H-beam, being only 22g lighter, but it had massively smaller inertial force compared to I-beam one. I didn't weight it, but clearly felt it that H-beams small-end weight is significantly smaller compared to I-beam's small-end weight.

H-beams also should have higher section modulus (they're stiffer, won't bend as easily under load) than I-beam which makes them ideal in boosted applications.

This makes me seriously considering the Eagle/FJT H-beam rods for my Z6 project, when I finally can proceed with it.. Hopefully later this year.
What about using two scales with something to adjust the height(to keep the rod level) to weigh the PE and BE? This would give you an idea of the weight bias.

When you were swinging the rods, were you swinging it from the PE or BE?

05 Subaru Legacy GT
92 Honda Accord LX
88 Honda Civic HB
Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
mightyjoecivic
N/a 1.6L w/ assistance ;)

mightyjoecivic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mightyjoecivic

Eagle ESP H-beams = 535 grams

This is for 92-95 Civic Ex/Si

Honda Civic Eagle Rods ESP H-Beam Connecting Rods at PRO Civic
Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
rushi

I noticed very interesting thing. Bisimoto H-beam rods are listed 530g for D16, 560g for B18 and only 508g for F22.

I asked about Spark Racing H23 I-beam rods, the guy from there told me that they are rated for 12500rpm, have 3/8" ARP8470 bolts and weight around 490g. I checked some Probe Ultralight(and same/similar) I-beams for H23, and they're told to weight around 475g.

Why are F22/H23/H22 rods so incredibly light compared to D/B-series, especially when they're 5mm (or 4.5mm?) longer? One thing could be that compared to D16, they have 3mm bigger small- and big ends, both. And I suppose that these rods are made with very same dies. If that's the case, I see that all D-series aftermarket rods are WAY OVERKILL for almost any possible engine setup.

I'd love to see someone to design and manufacture a properly engineered (and not so overkill) All-Motor rod for D-series, with 5/16 ARP2000 (or similar) bolts etc. I'm sure that 400g "proper" rod would be possible. IIRC someone said that Cunningham would/could make such, but for ~$800..
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
K2e2vin
Broke builder

I believe it's all in the design and material/process. It seems most manufacturers just add more material to make a rod stronger; as it would be cheaper than a redesign. A "proper" rod would mean rod angle would need to be taken into consideration, along with high-end materials, time, etc. I don't think any of us can afford that, really.

I've seen manufacturers sell rods like these F1 ones:

05 Subaru Legacy GT
92 Honda Accord LX
88 Honda Civic HB
Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
K2e2vin
Broke builder

I guess you can say it's like a braced hollow "A" shape; similar to I-beam setups, and the width of the rod goes all the way towards the end instead of ending between the rod bolts.

05 Subaru Legacy GT
92 Honda Accord LX
88 Honda Civic HB